Well anyhow, I decided to play around with the end table yesterday and try out some new things... are you excited?! Of COURSE you are!
Because this piece is so chunky and plain, I took it upon myself to add some visual interest that would POP after glazing. I started by sanding everything down and filling the hardware holes.
Then, using my 'Make Your Own Stencil' techniques, I created my own stencil in about 30 minutes! I used a design borrowed from Brooke's blog All Things Thrifty. If you follow us on facebook, you knew I had something up my sleeve with this design!
Although you may think of painting with a stencil, but I had other plans! I decided to use joint compound (basic spackle) and blot it onto the stencil using my little round stenciling foam brush. I did this because I want this area to appear raised after I'm done painting and glazing! I've seen this technique done before, so it's not an original idea... but it's a first for me!
And it totally worked! Next I primed everything.
In the next few weeks, we have a commissioned piece for a client who looooooves the finish used in the photo below (from Johnny In a Dress), and so I decided to take this opportunity to 'practice' and make sure it will turn out just right for said client.
Little buddy got painted using Rustoleum Gloss Fern.
Then, using a few different colors of acrylic paints, I globbed together a mixture on a paper plate, and brushed it onto the end table, immediately wiping it off with a dry cloth.
This was where I was supposed to stop (based on the inspiration photo) but I felt like it needed some dimension and rugged brown-ish-ness. So I whipped out my brown glaze and smeared it on here and there, making sure to get all the cracks and crevices, again... wiping away the bulk of the glaze with a dry cloth (using the same techniques from my glazing tutorial).
I'm loving it very much.
We haven't decided if we're selling this little chunky gem yet. I've grown very fond if it! :)